Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    HippolyteAdminHippolyte (Creator of PhotoSculpt, PhotoSculpt) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • HippolyteAdminHippolyte (Creator of PhotoSculpt, PhotoSculpt) commented  · 

Hi Chris,

I see exactly what you mean and I have good news. I've improved Photosculpt recently (internal revision v1.06, currently being tested).

it uses Exif focal length. And you can specify the focal lenght manually too (you can use it if you happen to have the real calibrated value instead of the constructor's value witch is only estimated +-5%)

Also: Photosculpt v1.06 can now compute (solve) the focal length from 2 photos for you. No need to imput key points so far, it's runs automatic.

It additionaly computes the lens barrel or pincushion deformation if any. and camera 6dof positions in 3D space.
        The target is to help Photosculpt to be more "metric"

This version is not released yet but do you want to try it? You may help with your experience.

• chrisdchrisd commented  · 

I know that all lenses produce distortion. I have used other software, such as Realviz Image Modeler (now Autodesk), that can use the focal length of lens, if known, or compute it from the photos, to create a model with less distortion.

I understand one of your goals with Photosculpt is ease of use. With more than 2 photos it might be beneficial to have some type of calibration, even if it is relatively simple.
        For example,
        - specifying a few key points in the photos
        - getting the lens setting from the EXIF data in the image

I have noticed a difference between the 3d geometry from Photosculpt and actual geometry, so I wonder if some type of calibration might improve this?

Regards,
        Chris Dordoni

Just an update: My first trial with the mean of the 2 models is no good. Yes the models are combined but the artifacts are combined also = 2 times more artifacts. To improve the 3d model I need to do it the hard way: triangulate in 3 dimensions. For this now I think that I need a good 3D equation solver. So I builded one and started to tune it but it is not precise enough (yet). Stay tuned for more? If someone went through this already, help would be appreciated. :-)

My initial idea was to propose to sculpt from Left + Front + Right photos.
        I will need to go thru prototypes and rework a lot of things but I'm willing to try this.

The most difficult thing will be to settle with what from the left or the right photo will have to take the lead for sculpting the final model. It can lead to monstruosities ;-)

One user (Dave) proposed to make a mean of the 2. That's simple enough to be tested first and after that we'll see. Any idea?

If I do prototypes they will be in the menu/?/under dev section as usual

Feedback and Knowledge Base